CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Olivia

Olivia

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oy Vey!

It has been a bit of a rough weekend around these parts!  More specifically for our little O.  Disclaimer: Read no further if you are not interested in hearing about the disgusting parts of being a parent! So on Friday, Livi had an exorbitant amount of poop come out of her little behind.  She normally fills her pants only a few times per week.  I can only assume this is the result of a recent chiropractic adjustment she has had.  We are working with Dr. Ledger on a part of her back that she believes to be problematic, and Dr. Ledger said that the nerves there are the ones that feed into her digestive system.  She's always had extremely hardcore gas that gives her fits, and it looks like this may be correlated.  So ANYWAY, I digress.  To recap, O had mad poops on Friday.  This left her with the worst diaper rash she's had in her 11 months on this planet.  We tried our usual regimen of more natural diaper creams that work well with our cloth dipes.  These did not even touch it.  So we bought some disposables and pulled out the big guns.  This included lots of bathing, not wearing a diaper for an extended period of time, using breastmilk, no disposable wipes (we don't use many of these anyway) and lots of thick diaper cream.  I'm glad to say that this is MUCH improved this morning!

Yesterday, Olivia started to have this nasty green goop in her eye that kept coming and coming and coming.  Gross.  This morning her right eye was gooped shut and we couldn't get it open until we did a warm washcloth on her eye for a few minutes.  It looked like it was spreading to her other eye as well.  So we took her to Urgent Care just to be checked out.  Now, I don't like dogging doctors, and especially the ones who work for the same hospital that I do....BUT these urgent care docs are not the best.  She did diagnose Livi in 1.5 seconds with a infected duct.  Okay, fine.  But then she called in an ointment for the eye as well as an antibiotic to the pharmacy.  Ben goes to pick these things up and when he gets home I see that the ointment she had prescribed is for skin infections.  Upon further investigation and reading the label, it says "Do Not Use in the Eye."  WHA??  I called Mike up at the pharmacy and he said well it's not going in the eye it's just going on the lash.  Well, yes Mike.  However, do you think that putting ointment on an 11 month olds eyelashes is going to be an easy task?  Some of this ointment will inevitably end up in her eye, whether I put it there or not so it's probably not the safest thing.  He had to call the doctor back and have her prescribe something else, so we're back in business now.  This is reminiscent of the time that I was prescribed a steroid by an urgent care doc who knew I was breastfeeding that was NOT safe for the baby.  Moral of the story here, folks:  You are your own advocate, and if something doesn't seem/feel right make sure you're checking it out!   --End Rant!-- :-D

So anyway...Miss O is now hopefully on the mend, and today is celebrating her 11 month birthday!  She's amazing in so many ways.  I think we're getting closer to crawling.  The chiro said that sometimes when babies develop earlier (crawling/walking) they may not be quite as ready for it mentally because they don't necessarily have that sense of danger developed quite yet.  She thinks that Livi will be crawling soon and when she is she will be very ready for it.  I definitely agree.  She's a cautious little bugger--with the exception of when she takes what we have dubbed her suicide death leaps (where she was holding onto something, but lets go of it expecting us to catch her!).

I am in full party planning mode for the big first birthday and am loving every minute of it!  I hope that as many of you are able to come and celebrate with us as possible.

xoxo

---shan

0 comments:

Post a Comment